Creating a mini book is a simple way to quickly make a large number of books for reading and writing. You can teach students how to fold a mini book with simple to follow directions. Students can then use blank mini books for drawing and writing. Mini books are also a simple way to add to the number of simple to read books that students have access to. Learn how to fold a mini book with these step by step directions.
How to Fold a Mini Book
You can premake the books for young students, or include the directions for older students to make their own books. Click here for a printable version of the directions.
- 81/2 x 11 piece of paper
- First, fold the paper in half on the long side.
- Next, fold the paper in half on the short side.
- Then, fold the paper in half on the short side again.
- Unfold the paper. Then fold it in half on the short side.
- Cut the paper in half starting at the fold.
- Then, unfold the paper then fold it in half on the long side. Pinch the ends together.
- Press down the pages of the book.
- Finally, fold the book in half.
Create Vocabulary Books
Print out, or have students create their own vocabulary book. Put one vocabulary word on each page of the mini book.
Blank Writing Books
Add mini books to a writing center so that students can create their own books. This is a fun way to encourage students to create stories with a beginning, middle, and end.
Premade Mini Books
Guided Reading Mini Books– This set has 3 levels of books. There is a vocabulary book, emergent reading book with repetitive sentences, and a beginning reading version with multiple sentences on each page. All three sets use the same pictures.
CVC Mini Books with Writing Practice– This set comes with 2 levels of books. There are vocabulary books and a set of books with simple sentences. Each set of books use the same pictures.